North Cleveland Baptist Church
Where Love is Alive
What’s happening this week?
- FOLLOW THIS LINK TO SEE/DOWNLOAD THIS SUNDAY’S SERMON OUTLINE: Blessed Assurances
- DNOW/CATALYST will Be February 3rd-5th. See youth leadership team for more information.
- LADIES SKILL SESSIONS: February 12th at 2:30 in the Gym. Sign ups and more information are located on clipboards on the front pew, Welcome Center, and Annex.
- 20TH ANNIVERSARY RECEPTION for Lanny Green will be Sunday, January 29th from 4:30-6:00 PM in the Annex. Stop by to offer your appreciation for his many years of faithful service!
- GRIEFSHARE-13-week support group meeting on Thursdays, March 2nd-May 25th. If you or someone you love has lost a loved one and would benefit from participating in these GriefShare sessions, please see Jean Tucker for more information. Brochures are available at sanctuary entrances.
- WOMEN’S BOOK CLUB February 6th at 6:00 PM in the Annex. See Joy Rogers for more information.
Join us Sunday Mornings
8:30 AM – Worship
9:45 AM – Bible Study
11 AM – Worship
Watch Livestream of Sunday Worship
- My NCBC Story: Dr. Jay McCluskeyI witnessed the providence of God guiding our church in a series of church decisions made between 1997 and 2000. In the late 1990’s the… Continue reading My NCBC Story: Dr. Jay McCluskey
- My NCBC Story: Jeff MoweryI remember when the sanctuary was most recently remodeled. Before new carpet was applied, we had the opportunity to write our favorite scriptures on the… Continue reading My NCBC Story: Jeff Mowery
- My NCBC Story: Anita BatesAs a “lifer”, one of my first vivid memories of North Cleveland Baptist is of a bright day when the men and ladies were working… Continue reading My NCBC Story: Anita Bates
- PRESCHOOL SUNDAY SCHOOL teachers and helpers needed for preschool classes.
Contact: Holly Cox
- MEDIA SHOUT – We need volunteers to run the computer on a rotating basis during the Sunday morning worship services.
Contact: Lanny Green
- LIVESTREAM – We need volunteers to run the livestream during both services on a rotating basis during the Sunday morning worship services.
Contact: Lanny Green
- COMPASSION CARE MINISTRY – Serving and attending to temporary needs of the elderly/homebound members of our congregation. Additional info at the entrances to the sanctuary.
Contact: Jean Tucker
NCBC is hiring!
WEEKDAY CHILDCARE MINISTRY IS HIRING! If you or someone you know enjoys working with babies through pre-kindergarten age children, please call 472-4172 to learn more or to get an application.
Weekly Words from the Staff
A word from Dr. Jay…
This Sunday we have the honor of recognizing Lanny Green’s two decades of vocational ministry on our staff. During my tenure, Lanny is the ministerial staff member with whom I am honored to have worked the longest.
A bit over 20 years ago, I attended an initial lunch meeting at the local Cracker Barrel Restaurant to get acquainted with Lanny. With me was the Queen Mother of our congregation, Nancy Paul. She was on the Search Committee, and everyone knew no candidate could advance without her blessing. While we spoke of music, we also discussed theology and how we approached church ministry. A few weeks later, Lanny was presented by the Search Committee as their recommendation to be our new Worship Minister. In response, the call was extended, and he accepted.
To use a pun, Lanny was “green,” still completing his work toward his Master’s Degree at Lee University and becoming a more seasoned church leader. We started meeting on Tuesday mornings to discuss the congregational songs that would go along with the theme of the sermon. It is a practice we continue today. While I have introduced him to a few older hymns, he has educated me on a strong number of praise choruses.
Upon Lanny’s graduation, our church wisely chose to make his position on our staff full-time. During those initial years, Lanny was single. But God brought Leah into both his life and the life of our congregation. Allow me to take a phrase we McCluskeys use about the people who marry into our family and apply it to our church family and Leah: I’m glad we married her! By directing our children’s choir, creating eloquent writing, helping in Vacation Bible School, singing in the choir, offering her voice in solos, bringing interpretive dance into our worship, and even teaching the pastor a bit of choreography, Leah graces our church time and again. Plus, the Green family went on to add four amazing kids: Levi, Judah, Natalie, and Sarah. We dearly love each one.
With every staff member comes some talents you are unaware of at the time of their hire. Lanny’s experience and knowledge with carpentry enables the building of elaborate sets for VBS and other worship experiences. In 2020, he took on the work of creating a new media booth. And his handiwork is seen over much of the recent renovations in our sanctuary.
I am blessed to have served this church community for so many years. And I am doubly blessed to experience the benefit of serving in long-term vocational ministry with so many others, especially Lanny. While we are neither Dwight Moody and Ira Sanky nor Billy Graham and Cliff Barrows, I do believe God intended us to work together.
I pray you will join me Sunday both in honoring Lanny and in participating in all the ways we will show our appreciation.
Where are we located?
2815 North Ocoee Street
Cleveland, Tennessee 37312
Give us a call